GEORGE AYITTEY MEMORIAL AWARDS
The George Ayittey Memorial Awards recognize individuals who by their actions exemplify the character and commitment to dissembling tyranny as espoused and practiced by George Ayittey, Africa’s foremost free-market campaigner, and his messages of free market economies, the rule of law, Peace, human progress and an ideal entrepreneurial society.
The Awards also welcome contributions in the form of essays from young people between the ages of 18 – 30 years of African descent.
Essay submission guidelines:
- All entries must be submitted online. All essays must be submitted via this link
- Essays must not exceed 700 words in English excluding essay title. Essays may be typed.
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizer
The Awards Committee will not accept hard copies of essays or entries submitted by e-mail
- Write a brief essay on the Cheetah Generation and why they are important to Africa’s economic prosperity.
- Why has little progress been made in the fight against corruption in your home country?
- Recent Coups in Africa: why is Africa often in Chaos and what effect does that have on development?
- Explain the connection between economic freedom and why it is the best option to salvage your country’s development.
- Has foreign aid helped or hurt your country? Explain with evidence.
- The Role of the Legal System in Ensuring Justice and Equality in Africa: Opportunities and Obstacles.”
- Media Influence on Public Opinion and Democracy: Ensuring Accuracy and Objectivity in Reporting.
- According to George Ayittey, there may be food shortages in the cities while food may be rotten on the farms. Explain this anomaly with examples from your home country.